Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Oil Cleansing Method and Etsy Update

So, I promised I'd talk a little bit more about the oil cleansing method in my last post which was about a million years ago. Sorry! Just kidding, I'm not, I've been busy. Anywho, I've been using the OCM to cleanse my face on and off for about three years now. Every time I do it, I love it, and my skin always looks lovely after I finish. However, it does take awhile to do - about fifteen minutes if you do a good job. The time constraint is the number-one reason I don't do it every day (that, and a lack of face washcloths).

Basically, the OCM is the method of using oil (not soap, harsh astringents, acids, or anything like that) to cleanse your face. You might think, "Ew Alex, that's gross. You are a dirty bird for doing this". But I'm not and it's not! The science behind this method is that while yes, acids and harsh soapy cleansers CAN dissolve the dirt and oil that's all stuck up in your pores giving you acne, it's not necessarily the BEST way to do that. Because guess what? Just like in high school chemistry, like really does dissolve like! Henceforth and so, oil will dissolve other oils. What does this mean for your face, you might ask? This means that when you rub oil on your face for fifteen minutes (the right kinds of oil), it sinks into your pores and dissolves the sebum and dirt that is stuck in there, and then pushes it to the surface. You wind up with your pores full of good, clean oil instead of nasty, dirty oil from touching your face and wearing makeup and whatnot.

Obviously, some oils work better for the OCM than others. The best oil for this is probably castor oil, which does a fantastic job of sinking into your pores, but also of pushing what's in there out towards the surface. However, this oil can be slightly drying for some skin types, and the feeling of this oil on your skin is slightly unpleasant - it's a little viscous. So, generally it's best to mix castor oil with one or more other types of oils, chosen for their desired effect on your skin. I use this brand of castor oil, FYI:
But you can use any brand. Just make sure it is natural and of a high quality! DON'T buy and use the stuff from the pharmacy that people take for their bowels. Not the same quality as the stuff you'll want on your face!

For my own personal use, I generally do the following makeup for a 4 ounce jar:

- 50% castor oil
- 50% argan oil (if I'm feeling fancy), or sweet almond oil (both excellent moisturizers)
- 10 drops of tea tree oil (I have skin issues)
- 2 tsp of rose hip seed oil (Works well for scarring and uneven skin tone)
- 1 tsp tamanu oil (A-Mazing for healing blemishes, getting rid of scars, etc).

This works well on anyone with easily irritated or problematic skin. I have hormonal-related skin problems, and this works well for diminishing that type of acne as well as those cute little blackheads that so many people are prone to.

Now, you know what you're putting on your face. How do you actually use it? Well, first off I normally do this in the bath. That way, my face is already nice and clean and it's a little steamy so my pores are open. Next, pour about 1 or 2 teaspoons of your oil mixture into the palm of your hand. Quickly rub it between your hands and immediately apply it all over your face (but not your eyes). Rub this into your skin like you're trying to apply lotion, focusing on the most problematic areas. Keep doing this for the next fifteen minutes, or as long as you can stand it - add more oil if your face no longer feels slick. It's going to feel strange the first time you try it, so don't freak out! Eventually, you will start to feel little grainy bits on your skin under your fingers - STAY CALM. This is the point! Those are the little plugs of oil that are actually coming out of your pores! Mission accomplished! 

When you're finished rubbing oil all over your face, you'll clean off all the oil. Get a clean washcloth and get it soaked with HOT water (really hot!), and wring it out so it is not dripping. Lay it over your face and wait until it gets cool. Then, gently scrub it over your face to remove the oil. Rinse with more hot water and repeat until your face feels refreshed and clean, not oily. You'll be glowing and fresh-faced with lovely clean pores! The best part of all is that you aren't stripping your pores completely clean with anything harsh. This way, your skin doesn't overreact and produce even MORE oil to keep your skin supple and soft - eventually, your skin will normalize its oil production and you'll be soft and lovely all the time. Try it out for yourself!

And now, for a plug: You don't have to make this at home if you don't want to! I sell it in my shop! And guess what else? I just redesigned my shop and it looks a lot prettier! I even added some items! So many exclamation points! I have new photos coming soon, too - then it won't look so amateur.

Check it out! Lookin' all professional and shoot. Keeping my language kid-friendly, folks!


Next: Probably another recipe but who knows. I'm lazy and I only like talking about things that are interesting to me at one particular moment in time so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment